Friday, October 31, 2008

Passiveness and the cop

So I've had this great post in mind all day titled 'Werd', but I discovered something about myself tonight. I am agressive in exactly the wrong situations. It's abuse of authority that just sets me off into a willing and combative wit. Case in points, I've only been stopped for moving violations twice in my life. One was tonight and it honestly took every bit of energy to not bless out this cop. Well, let's put it in reverse for a moment.

My first moving violation? I had come in to work on APSU's web servers on a Saturday at 3 pm. I parked about 10 spaces down Browning Drive (or more appropriate for the defense of my case...browning parking lot). When I left at 6:30 pm (still a Saturday), I reversed my vehicle across browning drive parking lot, and turned to go back out the way I came in. At the very end of Browning drive a campus security guard officer blocked me in. When instructed to turn around, I remarked, 'You've got to be kidding me.' You know what that got me? Well, that and telling him that 'I'm not turning around.'...and getting out to take a picture of our vehicles... (btw, I won the appeal. Having conflict of interest level influence with 2/3rds of the appeals board didn't hurt)

Fast forward to tonight. I'm coming down the 41A bypass in the passing lane and a crown vic is in the slow lane. A black crown vic. I look down and am doing 57 in a 50. As I pass, he sirens me and then flashes his headlights. Fine, I know you are in control so I slow to 50. And he gets on my ass with no blues. I speed up to 55 and he's still got like a 1 second of stop time between us. I think to myself, he wants me to stop. Well you know what...I'm not stopping unless he hits the blues. He finally does. Ooo, the things I had to bite my tongue over. I did good though. He gave me a warning. Gimli's Pride, I just kept thinking of what you said cops think when they pull over a brother..."Mr. Wooden, you aren't resisting, are you?". That saved me a clubbing. Thx.

1 comment:

The Undone Lifer said...

The toughest point of the traffic stop was when the officer said, "I was doing 58 and you were pulling away from me." First. Bullshit. The one thing a person does better than anything else when tailed by a cop is watch their speedometer. I wasn't anywhere close to 60. Hence the warning? Second, I sooo had to stop myself from yelling, "Because you were on my bumper 50!". Yeah, that would have been an automatic cavity search...