Friday, November 28, 2008

Consuming Life

Does anyone else find it odd that most life survives by consuming the life of others? Somewhere right now, a falcon rips open the belly of a rabbit. A cheetah digs its claws into a fleeing impala. A dolphin feeds on a bait ball of sardines. Even the deer uproots vegetation to quiet its hunger. Only the plant survives by not ending the existance of another. Can a human survive on by-products alone which don't kill our sustenance (milk, cheese, fruit/vegetables, sunlight)?

2 comments:

Jennifer Paulk-McGinley said...

Besides those listed, others would be nuts, seeds, legumes, honey, grains,and eggs (store-bought eggs are not fertilized). I don't think it would be that difficult, it is essentially a vegetarian diet. Vegan would be more challenging, but raw foods would be the extreme. I've often toyed with the idea of challenging myself to survive on raw foods for a pre-determined amount of time. I already have the dehydrator ready.

Gimli's Pride said...

One cannot live on bread alone... one must have beer to go with it!