Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Today, it is finally tomorrow.

I am a level-capped procrastinator. Every task that I need to do now, I put off until tomorrow. You know, the problem with this is that, with very little work, tomorrow never arrives (see what I did there?). Projects and tasks can get pushed back to tomorrow ad-infinitum or until the very last minute where I have to scramble to finish (or worse, abandon the project). I've lied to myself for many years thinking that I work best under-pressure. In actuality, it cripples any natural talent that I have. Imagine all the evil good that I could accomplish if I started projects early and reviewed/modified/grew the task over time! The world would see my genius and dispair rejoice! An illustration of my indispensable greatness! (click the zoom button to read)

WELL, NO MORE! Tomorrow starts TODAY! Well, it really should have started yesterday, but I decided to put it off until today (really...yes, I have a real problem...) Regardless! There will be no more looking forward to 5 pm or towards making it through Wednesday, or with an eye on Friday. Instead, I will turn my focus about and look backwards. What did I accomplish over the last hour? How did that help me reach my life/career/hobby goals and objectives?

Here are my goals and objectives:

Life:
  • Maintain a clean and healthy home
  • Be good to family and friends
  • Stay financially sound and on track for retirement

Career:

  • Provide excellent customer, technical and peer support
  • Pursue educational and advancement opportunities

Hobbies:

  • Enjoy the journey in Lord of the Rings Online (No way I would give up my #1 hobby!)
  • Rebuild my Honda del Sol
  • Learn to play Saxophone
  • Start Flight Training

2 comments:

Gimli's Pride said...

That is a good list, my friend. It will serve you well... but, I have one question.
If you are looking backwards, how will you keep from tripping yourself up? :)

Jennifer Paulk-McGinley said...

I too suffer from only achieving greatness under pressure. Of course, I also realize that these two papers I am struggling to complete would be done by now had I only been more proactive in the early part of the semester. Well..how's it going so far?