Tuesday, December 23, 2008

New Year Brings New Resolutions

I don't usually make yearly resolutions. Probably because I'm not one for traditions that seem baseless IMHO. I have a difficult time accepting that I have to do something just because everyone else is doing it and I thereby rebel against it. Like taking off your hat in 28 degree weather at an NFL game during the national anthem. Say what? How about we excercise some common sense here and show our love of country with caps on, eh? Whoa, tangential discussion.

NE-way, as the central theme of this blog is self-improvement, I think I will mark the start of 2009 with some resolutions. Here goes:
  1. Put actual effort into finding a long-term companion. A lady and/or a dog. Online dating and the Humane Society here I come.
    Speaking of such, there is a beautiful, 1 year old, stray golden retriever at the city pound that might fill the second role. Either that or I may look into becoming a foster home for the Humane Society. (btw, I totally refrained from using the venacular for "female dog" in my and/or statement above. Although phunny (read again, insert venacular), it would have had an adverse effect on my finding the first of my list.)
  2. Put actual effort into my career. I can not coast through a private industry career.
    What we believed, is true. Working in the private industry is much more difficult than working for the public good. It was easy for me to excel at the university with little effort. My perception of my performance out here in the private industry was shattered last week when I failed 1/2 of my job certification test by 1, single, solitary point. What happened? I thought that I knew it all. I thought that I would coast through certification. I didn't check my answers before blazing through to the next. Luckily, the first 1/2 (knowledge) and second 1/2 (practical) are averaged together. I am confident that I corrected this behavior on the second 1/2 of the test, but won't know until the instructor grades it.
  3. Put actual effort into eating healthy.
    As I noted in an earlier post, I'm going to try to eat, mostly, sustainably. Can I block my predatory instincts and only...hmm, scratch that, "mostly" eat food that does not necessitate the death of the provider? "Mostly", because this resolution only applies when I eat at home. I will not be able to resist well seasoned meats when at a restaurant or at one of Steve's spring-time bbq's...damn you fatty, bloody, seasoned goodness. Hopefully, I won't be caught in a pasture munching on cow shoulder. What? It's still walkin'!
  4. Put actual effort into flight training.
    I'm restless and need exhileration. I need to expand my horizons and see the country. I need to fly across Alaska and island hop in the bahamas. I'm starting flight training this spring. I have to budget $250-$500 a week for this though. Oishaboi. I'm going to start with setting up a flight station at home. I talked to the school in Nashville that I want to attend and the instructor says he definitely sees a difference between those that practice at home on a simulator and those that do not. One pilot friend of mine says that Microsoft Flight Simulator is so aerodynamically realistic that he would trust someone trained exclusively on it to take off and fly...but not to land. I have the rudder pedals. I'm going to buy Flight Simulator X, a flight yoke (with fuel/air/flaps levers) and an instrument switch panel.

Let's see, I'm sound financially, I'm content socially, spiritually I'm good, health I expect #1 will have an impact on. Hmm, just a few resolutions for now. There may be more as I encounter life's hurdles.

8 comments:

Jennifer Paulk-McGinley said...

Those are some darn good resolutions. I haven't done a fresh resolution in many years, and feel its about time to come up with one or renew an old one (if such a thing is allowed).

The Undone Lifer said...

PGP (pretty good progress). I've had a slim-fast for breakfast most days out of the week for about a month now. My traditional weakness has been lunch, but today I had an apple, orange, yogurt cup and a serving of V-8 Fusion. Dinner will be my quick and easy bowl of Smart Start cereal. I only purchased stuff that met my new healthy eating criteria and was pleasantly surprised to find that I spent the same that I would normally spend on groceries. Myth #1 that eating healthy is too expensive, busted.

Oh, right, and I did this a few days ago: http://dating.personals.yahoo.com/personals-1230068100-782116

The Undone Lifer said...

+1 banana for lunch to fill me up.

Jennifer Paulk-McGinley said...

I'm not sure cereals meet your criteria for sustainable eating. The entire plant must die for the grains to be extracted, so this means no grain products like cereals, breads, anything with oats, rice, barley, etc. Just an FYI. :)

The Undone Lifer said...

Right, what I really intend is to live (mostly, like 96%) off foods that didn't experience terror (and the great dark nothing) in order to provide. That cow being corralled into the slaughter house has no idea that this is the last, longest mile and in a matter of minutes it will be dead. *sniff*

The Undone Lifer said...

*giggle* I got Flight Simulator X Gold Edition. Not only can you fly planes...but there are several multiplayer components. One is that two people can share a cockpit. The primary pilot sees the left side controls on their monitor and the co-pilot sees the right side controls on their monitor. Cool, but not nearly as cool as...Air Traffic Controller multiplayer... Yep, it is as awesome as it sounds and much awesomer! You can play the game as ATC directing planes piloted by one (or multiple, see above) networked people. ATC mode players walk around the tower, interacte with radar, weather stations, and actually speaks through a headset just like a real traffic controller. Pure Awesome. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae8QdZOr5sM

My next post will be of my completed simulation set-up (appx 1/8/2009)

Jennifer Paulk-McGinley said...

Ok, fair enough. I suppose grains don't feel terror as they are being reaped. I heard some crazy statistic on NPR about the amount of meat Americans consume compared to the rest of the world. I wish I could remember it, ...but the overall message was that the rest of the world chooses to eat less meat, say maybe only once or twice a week, but its organic, high-quality meat that is better for both body and Earth. I really don't put much thought into it when I'm shopping because I rarely buy red meats, pork, or chicken. And in our tiny like part of the world its difficult to get seafood that is fresh, nevermind organically raised or "free-range".

Jennifer Paulk-McGinley said...

Ya know, there are Air Traffic Controllers all over the world stopping, scratching their heads, and asking themselves, "when the heck did my job become cool?"