Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The Layoffs Begin

I got up at 7:59 am to discover we had an 8 am emergency conference call. I made it in just under the wire to hear that one of our team was being lay'ed off. An Engineer in Florida, in addition to 800 other employees across the organization, were cut today. All morning, familiar names have been coming across email with "Today is my last day. It's been fun. I will miss you all.".

How I still have a job as the new guy is beyond me. A vastly experienced Specialist (the counterpart to an Engineer) was cut from TN and I suspect an entire level of Implementation Management. I talked with my boss and he tells me that my job is not in danger. He even encouraged me to take my vacation. My fear is that this is a company PR line. Regardless, the financially responsible thing for me to do now is to keep all of the cash I have saved for flight training in the bank. It was a fortunate confluence of events (discovery of and aggressive savings for my Sport Pilot License, scheduling conflicts and delays, tax refund and vehicle overpayment) that got me into a good financial position if I am next to be let go.

And if I am kept on through the tough times, then it all works out. Next year, I'll have enough money to train locally for a full pilot license with the ability to take more than 1 passenger and to fly at night time...maybe even with dual engine and instrument ratings...why stop there! Let's go Commercial!

You know what I'm doing tonight..I'm relaxing for the first time in 4 months and leveling something..anything..in some MMO!

2 comments:

Jennifer Paulk-McGinley said...

MMO...I forgotten what it means to level. /sad.

Unknown said...

whatz an MMO?????? LAtharian I MISS YOU