245. I had my yearly medical checkup this week. 245. My bloodpressure was perfect at 113/70. 245. My lipids and cholesterol are within the baseline. 245. Blood and urine tests came back nominal. 245. I hadn't weighed myself since...well probably since I worked at and worked out regularly at APSU. 245. Initially, the nurse placed the counterweight at 250 and when it slammed down, I thought, "W-T-F. How DARE that nurse think that I was 250 pounds!". 245. Fortunately, I kept that thought to myself because she didn't have to back the weights off very much before it balanced...at 245!
Since I was off work this week, and I had finally finished sitting on my ass to beat Crysis, I figured it was high time to shop around for a gym membership. I checked out APSU's Foy Center ($120 a semester + $10 processing), the Clarksville Athletic Club ($48 a month + $100 processing), but finally decided on a new gym near my house called Anytime Fitness ($39 a month + $50 processing). There were two advantages to Anytime Fitness. One is location, location, location. It is less than 5 minute drive from my house, but most intriguing is that it is accessible on my bicycle through neighborhoods. The other advantage is convenience. Membership comes with a RFID key fob that unlocks the door 24 hours a day.
I spent an hour with a personal trainer who really got to know my history and goals. I've decided that I want to get ripped. I want people to look at my biceps and get nosebleeds.
My main stumbling block will be diet. I absolutely love eating. I eat constantly. I will devour all food within reach. Whole large pizza's, 4 double cheeseburgers, 2 foot long chili cheese coneys with tots all chased by chips and cookies. As is common knowledge these days, eating many small meals is good, but only if the food is good for you. The trainer gave me some surprising tips. One, he encouraged me to buy foods packaged as appropriate servings. For example, after weight lifting, he suggested that I get lowfat chocolate milk from a convenience store...score! The other advice he gave is to stay away from all middle aisles in grocery stores. The good stuff is kept along the perimeter walls. What's along the walls are fruits, vegetables, meats, milk, eggs, etc. Neat.
So, I need to revist last year's resolutions and see where I am. I think I am batting about .333. I'm doing well at work, but I took a hit with family and friends. My fault since I tend to give up on social relations instead of working through them.
Friday, December 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
It all starts with taking the first steps. Realize your goals, identify what you need to do to get yourself back on track, and act on it. You should dust off ye olde Cannondale and take it for a spin. Or buy a trainer so that you can even ride when the weather isn't optimal. Gym membership is a good start however. I always feel more enthusiastic about a workout if I am at a gym. Home workouts have never cut it for me.
Anyway...good luck! The holiday season is always the hardest for dieting and exercising...but you'll make it through! :)
wow.... you are approx the same weight as me. That cant be right your skinnier than me *LOL*. give it time... knowing is half the battle and as long as you know what you are ingesting you can still have the foods you like (maybe just not as much of it).
I have set up the bike trainer in the livingroom and if I could actually get my lazy ass on it would be useful tool.
Congrats on the Gym membership and to your first day of a new you.
S.
Post a Comment