I hate rollercoasters. Especially those giant wheel ones where you sit in a basket and it slowly rotates you to the top and then down the other side. I once told a friend that adrenaline is a benefit for most, but it just makes me nauseous. I feel the same about hot/spicy foods. For many people hot/spicy foods release endorphines. Not I. It just hurts.
Well rejoice! Today I noticed that I'm not totally impervious to endorphine releases/adrenaline rushes! While talking with another engineer about a corporate server issue, I surprised myself by verbalizing and realizing that my sub-concious has known and enjoyed them for more than 10 years. Tricksy sub-conscious, always hiding things from me.
I get my euphoric feeling when I am resolving computer issues. Everything else fades into the background and the issue becomes more focused. I get the warm blood rush over the skin, the increased heart rate, a lucid and logical thought process, the acute senses and fast reflexes. I can visualize the code flow floating just off my nose. I've done this several times in my current job and discovered software bugs with very little experience and no formal training. I now know what my super power is and what I must do. Now, what is my kryptonite (rollercoasters?) and who is my Lex Luther (Sam L. Jackson?)...
Postscript: Why Sam L.? Because I would look totally awesome sword fighting him in black leather on my rooftop during a stormy night.
As long as he doesn't strap me to a ferris wheel, I think I can win.
Wednesday, December 3, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
WooHoo! I used my power today to help resolve a nationwide issue! I worked with 2 engineers, tech support and a product vendor on putting out a fire that has been blazing corporate wide for a whole week and was preventing Engineers nationwide from providing remote desktop support for hospitals. We were crippled all week due to it. I got the call from San Diego and got on a conference call with the vendor. Together we identified the problem and developed a solution! I hope to get an email of thanks from the vendor and the divisional leader. I already have my response ready. "Yes sir. I OMGWTFBBQPWNSAUCED!!1!! the problem."
Post a Comment